At one point, Dr. Misner outlined 16 levels of a referral. But while writing the second edition of Networking Like a Pro, he realized that his levels should match the 5 levels on most BNI referral slips around the world.
These 5 levels of a referral are cumulative, and laid out in detail in the book.
- You share the contact information of someone who expects to be contacted by your referral partner.
- You’ve also shared additional information (business card, marketing materials, website) about the person you’re referring with the prospect.
- You give the prospect a personal testimonial about the person you’re referring.
- You make a personal phone call and arrange a meeting between the propsect and the person you’re referring.
- You make an in-person introduction between the propsect and the person you’re referring.
The lower the level of referral, the higher the level of difficulty in turning it into business. Your goal should be to give referrals that are at least a level 3.
The 5 levels of a referral are in Chapter 36 of Networking Like a Pro: Second Edition. You can also read more about them on Dr. Misner’s blog.
Brought to you by the Networking for Success Channel on YouTube.
Originally posted on BNIpodcast.com
Not currently a member of BNI? How do you plan on growing your business?
Would you be interested in joining a group that can help you revolutionize your business, sharpen your professional skills, and develop long lasting contacts? We would love to invite you to visit our BNI chapter, and see for yourself how we are changing the way the world does business.
While growing your business is our primary focus, members get so much more from forming close relationships with like-minded business professionals. The opportunities are endless. If you are in the Sacramento/Elk Grove area we would love you to visit our chapter and learn more about the BNI Elk Grove Rockstars. Or Learn more about BNI